YOG – THE PANACEA FOR HUMANITY
ONLY YOG – (केवल योग) THE ENDLESS
ULTIMATE FOR ALL ‘UltimatES’
WHAT EXACTLY IS PATANJALI YOG?
To find out we must first shatter the myths about YOG and we must know that:
• YOG IS NOT ABOUT DOING ASANS (आसन). Umpteen physical postures propagated in the name of Patanjali YOG are business shops like gyms, aerobics, akhadas (अखाड़ा) etc. run by qualified, semi-qualified or even quacks employing all fair and foul tricks to attract the clientele. In fact Patanjali has not mentioned a single ASAN in his treatise.
• YOG IS NOT ABOUT DOING BREATHING EXERCISES. Innumerable breathing exercises concocted and propagated as PRANAYAM (प्राणायाम) in the name of Patanjali YOG are again business ventures flourishing mainly because most of us have been conditioned to accept for right or wrong reason that we do not know the most natural function of even breathing properly and our diseases are the result of this malaise. In fact Patanjali has discussed PRAN (प्राण ) as life force in its four dimensions as one part only of the entire process of YOG explained as summation of eight parts.
• YOG IS NOT ABOUT MEDITATION TECHNIQUES. Innumerable meditation techniques propagated as DHYAN (ध्यान) in the name of Patanjali are business ventures to attract the gullible by promising attractive returns with minimal investment and ultimately benumbing the faculties of even complaining after complete bankruptcy. In fact Patanjali has not mentioned a single meditation technique in his YOGSHASTRA. .
• YOG IS NOT ABOUT GOING INTO ANY KIND OF TRANCE IN THE NAME OF A HIGHER FORM OF EXISTENCE. There is no higher form of existence propagated as SAMADHI (समाधि) in the name of Patanjali. It is just an intellectual venture on business lines to attract the gullible and convince the knowledgeable in order to swell the rank and file of the followers. In fact very classification on the lines of dualities of higher and lower is anti-thesis of the concept of YOG and has been labeled as a figment of imagination equated with ignorance and discussed under a well defined technical term AVIDYA (अविद्या) by Patanjali.
• OVERALL YOG IS NOT ABOUT ASAN (आसन), PRANAYAM (प्राणायाम), DHYAN (ध्यान) AND SAMADHI (समाधि) as generally understood and propagated. These terms have just been lifted from Patanjali YOG and given arbitrary interpretations to suit the sole aim of exploitation by knowledgeable experts and crafty quacks alike.
How could such large scale exploitation be possible? You can’t make fool of all the people all the time. There must be some genuineness about the whole concept of YOG. Yes, there is. It is entirely based on that ever existing knowledge which is impeccably organized. And this knowledge has always been used, misused and abused through the imagined techniques of interpretation by all sorts of people all over the world throughout the periods of entire human history.
YOG IS ABOUT
YOG deals with understanding the reasons of misuse / abuse of knowledge by the people and lays down a process following which will ensure that knowledge is not misused / abused but always used flawlessly for the benefit and happiness of all. This brings me to enumerate in a nutshell the various aspects of knowledge contained in YOG. It is about
• An unending scientific process of finding out, organizing and implementing any principle of knowledge in any field of human activity.
• A scientific process of sorting, sifting the information so gained about knowledge in a well-organized way and avoiding mal-organization. People tend to mal-organize also as either organization confers immense powers on the wielder.
• A scientific process of converting mal-organization of information due to misinterpretation into well-organization because mal-organized knowledge confers on an individual transitory power that not only destroys him ultimately but wreaks havoc on the very existence .
• A scientific process of converting mal-organization of thought due to misinterpretation into disorganization meaning disrupting and disintegrating the mal-organization. Knowledge so disorganized is useless and becomes non-functional.
• A scientific process of inculcating discretion (VIVEK विवेक) and awareness (PRAGYA प्रज्ञा) leading to friendship, joyfulness, compassion and complete avoidance of misuse / abuse of information by thoroughly understanding the concept of flaws (AVIDYA अविद्या) accruing due to misinterpretation and mal-interpretation.
YOG AS A SCIENTIFIC PROCESS
The process of YOG offers a reliable hope for the strife ridden humanity as it is the unique discovery mentioned in Vedas that is unending and suggests solutions to many problems that we keep on creating, manipulating just to suit definitions of intelligence artificially created for our convenience. On the other hand YOG talks about wisdom comprising discretion and awareness and shuns artificial intelligence by recognizing its symptoms. The importance of YOG as scientific process and its methodology has been explained under the following topics in forthcoming postings:
• Introduction – Unique discoveries
• Introduction – Questions with only one answer
• Introduction – A different analysis
• Introduction – Genesis of the solution
• Stages of YOGIC methodology
• Preparation Stage – Concept of VRITTI (वृत्ति)
• Preparation Stage – Laws of operation of VRITTIS (वृत्ति)
• Preparation Stage – VRITTIS operating in nature
• Preparation Stage – VRITTIS operating in human beings
• Preparation Stage – Rules of presence of VRITTIS
• Preparation Stage – Concept of CHITT (चित्त) and its comparison with VRITTI
• Conclusions about Preparation Stage
• Planning Stage – Concept of flawlessness
• Planning Stage – Concept of ASAN (आसन)
• Planning Stage – Concept of impediments and their resolution
• Planning Stage – Concept of PRANAYAM (प्राणायाम)
• Planning Stage – Concept of training of CHITT (चित्त) and concept of PRATYAHAR (प्रत्याहार)
• Execution Stage – Stage of SANYAM (संयम), Determination of the area of engagement
• Execution Stage – Formation of DHARNA (धारणा)
• Execution Stage – Sticking to DHARNA, Concept of DHYAN (ध्यान)
• Execution Stage – realization of DHARNA, Concept of SAMADHI (समाधि)
• Implementation Stage – Stage of VINIYOG (विनियोग)
• Conclusion – YOG an unending process